We had a huge record in the high school boys discus championship from Calabar’s Travis Smikle. There’s plenty of other field event action today. Here are the championship winners (this list will be updated throughout the day):
• Melissa Ogbourne of LSU won the college women’s triple jump championship with a wind-aided hop, step and jump of 42′ 10-3/4″ (13.07 meters).
• Hayden Baillio of the University of Texas won the college men’s shot put championship at 64′ 0″ (19.51 meters).
• Rebecca O’Brien of Buffalo took the college women’s discus championship at 173′ 1″ (52.77 meters).
• Rutgers’ James Plummer won the college men’s discus championship at 191′ 1″ (58.26 meters), taking the title for the second year in a row.
• Shanay Briscoe of Texas won the college women’s high jump championship by clearing 5′ 10-1/2″ (1.79 meters).
• The high school boys javelin championship went to Steve Feister of Hempfield (Landisville, Pa), with a throw of 211′ 5″ (64.44 meters).
• Marquise Goodwin of Texas won the college men’s long jump championship with a wind-aided leap of 26′ 3-1/1″ (8.01 meters).
• Walter Henning of LSU won the college men’s hammer throw championship for the third straight year. His winning mark: 208′ 3″ (63.49 meters).